I spent my summer 2016 learning the skills of Digital Journalism in City University of New York.
I believe that today’s journalists need to use technology to tell stories across multiple platforms. CUNY gave me an opportunity to cover events using my smartphone at Times Square and Manhattan.
From learning new apps, to understanding the use of Virtual Reality, the digital journalism course gave me best learning experiences :
- Outdoor reporting on streets of New York- Interviewing, editing, photographing and posting my work online.
- Understanding photographic techniques, and learning the scope of photo journalism
- Understanding the aspects of audio editing. As a part of my first CUNY assignment, I did an audio reporting on, “Your first food in New York.” I interviewed many immigrants on streets and shops.
- Video storytelling, where I used my smartphone for capturing and editing videos. I did a story on an immigrant, Mandeep Singh who runs a restaurant called Desi Grub on 44th street, Times Square.
- Live reporting : I live reported the Hamilton Lottery using apps like Scribble and VONT.
The best part was visiting the Buzzfeed newsroom in its Headquarters and conversing with the journalists.
Besides learning these technology skills, I made some lovely friends in the industry. My summer intensive group had around 100 people from different parts of the world, dominantly United Kingdom and China. What CUNY gave me was a new cultural experience in a city like New York which is so diverse. Attending 4th July fireworks with few American friends, trolling in the mini Tokyo land with few Japanese buddies and trying the Bubble tea with my course mates from China were few such new experiences that I cherish.
I was appreciated as one of the best students from Asia, (also because I was the only one from India) and was awarded a merit certificate for my work. If you want to know what all I did, then visit, http://summerdigitalone.2016.journalism.cuny.edu/about/
If you want to visit the Buzzfeed office, and spend your summer in New York reporting through smartphone, then what are you waiting for? Join the CUNY summer intensive 2017 and get set go, register : http://summerintensive.journalism.cuny.edu/#